Hello, my name is Mary Asselstine. Schomberg has been my home for more than 30 years and is where I have raised my two children. Over the years I have been very active advocating through volunteer work to strengthen and build our communities. I have built strong relationships with governments, agencies, community groups and volunteers to ensure that everyone has a voice in change. Recognising the need and opportunity I have helped found three dynamic community groups that are helping to shape the future of King Township (Dufferin Marsh Nature Connection, Schomberg Community Farm and Climate Action King). In addition to my years of experience in the volunteer sector, I ran a local business on Main Street Schomberg and understand many of the opportunities and challenges of local business owners.
With a Master’s degree in Geography from York University, I have worked for federal, provincial and Township governments. Through my many years of experience I have gained diverse skills in municipal planning, budgeting, grant writing and project management. In my teamwork advocacy, I have helped raise or leverage almost a million dollars for projects in King Township. I have worked hard for this community and will continue to work for positive change for Ward 4.
What I believe
I believe in a Vision for King that focuses on local job creation and support, convenient public transportation, reliable internet and tele-communication, social justice, ecosystem protection and collaborative decision making through a climate change lens.
I believe in a vision for Ward 4 that focuses on protecting cultural heritage, supporting local businesses, promoting energy efficiency, providing walkable communities, providing healthy and safe communities, protecting the natural environment, and integrating the built environment with the natural environment.
I believe that this can be done through effective two-way communication, supporting and empowering local community groups and businesses, and promoting planning and development that addresses the needs of the community first.
Background and Experience
- Dufferin Marsh Nature Connection – executive – 32 years– founding member – active
- Schomberg Community Farm – executive – 5 years – founding member
- Climate Action King – Executive – 5 years – founding member – active
- Unplugged on Main – Producer – 2 years – founding member – in hiatus due to COVID
- Schomberg Business Association – executive – 1 year
- Schomberg Softball Association – executive – 2 years
- Schomberg Figure Skating Club – executive – 5 years
- Emmanuel Presbyterian Church – secretary 14 years – elder – 7 years – active
- Bakery Business – 3 years
- Schomberg Lions
- Schomberg Village Association (Main Street Christmas)
- Schomberg Street Gallery
- Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Township of King
- Dufferin Marsh Nature Connection – +/- $600,000
- Schomberg Community Farm – +/- $200,000
- Canadian Wildlife Federation Rolland Michener Conservation Award 2022
- King Township Volunteer Award
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority Water Conservation Award 2012
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority Education Award 2001
- Undergraduate Degree – Trent University – geography and biology Master’s Degree – York University – geography – water resources
- Federal Government – geologist – 3 years
- Conservation Authorities – planner – 12 years
- Kortright Centre – teacher – 10 years
- Township of King – environmental stewardship coordinator – 10 years